Thursday, October 20, 2016

Story: The Cloud That Was Lost


("Cloud in Nepal" via Wikimedia Commons)

            A few centuries ago, there were gigantic mountains that were located in the center of a tropical island. At the very peak of the mountains were a bunch of clouds. These clouds were the fluffiest and whitest clouds on the island – they looked like cotton balls floating in the sky. The mountains and the clouds were really close friends. 
            During the day, the clouds would rest on top of the mountains when they were sleepy. The clouds grew tired frequently, because they were constantly waiting for other heavier clouds to float along and produce storms. 
            The clouds spent the majority of their days either sleeping on the mountaintops or floating around with the wind, bumping against one another. They preferred when the sun was down and the moon was high in the sky, because the sun made them incredibly hot. At night, the clouds could rest lower in the mountains, further away from the sky, creating a fog in the mountains at dawn. 
            One afternoon, one of the younger, smaller clouds named Claus was trying to catch a sun ray. Because there were so many clouds high up in the sky that day, the sun rays were bouncing around very quickly. Claus wanted to catch the sun ray so badly that he kept chasing it until he accidentally floated far away from his siblings and all of the other clouds. Claus looked around frantically, unable to find his family of clouds or the mountains. All he saw was the deep blue ocean that was below him. 
            Claus was so lost that he started crying, producing a rainstorm. All of a sudden, another cloud’s voice caught Claus by surprise.
            “What’s wrong?” the other cloud asked.
            “I am lost and I have no idea how to get back to my family,” Claus replied.
            “Well, I am lost too. Maybe we can find our way back together. What is your name?” she asked. 
            “My name is Claus… what is your name?” Claus asked.
            “Nice to meet you, Claus. My name is Claudia,” she replied. “Now, let’s see if we can find our way back.” 
            For the next few days, Claus and Claudia let the wind carry them, hoping the jet stream would carry them back home. Claus had no idea he had floated so far away from home. 
            “How much longer do you think it will take us to get back home?” Claus asked. 
            “I am not entirely sure…. But when I got lost when I was little, my parents always told me to follow the rainbows. If I followed the rainbows, I would always find my way back home,” Claudia said. 
            So the two clouds kept looking for a rainbow, hoping they would eventually find their way back. After a few more days, they finally came across a big, bright rainbow.            
            “I SEE A RAINBOW,” Claus exclaimed. Claus and Claudia floated as quickly as they could towards the end of the rainbow, and finally came across the mountains and the other clouds.
            Claus found his siblings and gave them a huge hug. Claus was so happy to be back home, and even happier to have a new friend there.  

Author's Note: I based my story off of the story, “The Cloud That Was Lost," from Florence Stratton's "When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends." My story is pretty similar to the original version of the story, except for the second half. In the original story, the lost cloud never goes back home, but instead, rains on flowers giving them color and completely disappears after raining too much. This original ending made me sad because I did not like how the cloud completely disappeared and did not find its way back home. I always want my stories to have a happy ending because I personally find those stories to be more enjoyable to read. Therefore, in my story, I made sure there was a happy ending. I wanted the lost cloud to make a friend while being lost, and then have the two clouds find their way back home together. The original story was pretty short, being only around 400 words, so when I was thinking about how I was going to re-write this story to make it my own, I was a little worried that I might not have enough backstory to work with. However, I think my version of the story ended up turning out pretty well! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!

Bibliography: "The Cloud That Was Lost," from Florence Stratton's "When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends; link to the reading online

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlin! I actually just read this for the Portfolio assignment too! Haha, but like I said earlier, this story is so descriptive. You did an awesome job creating a mental picture for the reader. Also thank you for giving it a happy ending! I’m like you, I hate when stories have sad endings. I feel like most of the stories we read in this class are a bit sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your story was really interesting from start to end. I pictured the cloud to be a young kid and it was so cute how he was able to find his way back. You did a really great job with the dialogue as well. It really put the story together. Overall, I am glad you changed the ending to be a good one. This was a great story to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this story a lot! I’m the same way as you when it comes to wanting my stories to have happy endings. I don’t want to come away from a story feeling sad, so I really appreciate the changes you made from the original.

    I especially liked that you spent time to describe the setting of the story before you introduced Claus, and it adds context to the world the clouds live in. It was really cute how you personified the clouds and I loved that the clouds and mountains were friends. I thought that the clouds sleeping in the valleys to create fog and that the clouds crying to create rain was creative as well! Claus and Claudia teaming up to find their way home was a nice touch too!

    Great job and good luck with the rest of your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kaitlin, this story was such a treat to read! You did such a great job at personifying the clouds and making them almost relatable. The names your chose for the clouds too was brilliant!

    I really liked how you took the time in the beginning of the story to describe the environment that the clouds live in. It really helps to put the story into some context and helps the reader to understand their preferences and dislikes.

    You have a pretty good summary of the original story, though unlike you, I like a story with a dark or twisted ending. But your happy ending was also really nice to read too. The idea of using rainbows to find your way home was a really smart writing idea to use too.

    Your writing is very creative and fun to read. I like how you took a story with a sad and negative ending and twisted it around to make it a happy ending. Good job, I look forest to reading the other stories in your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kaitlin,

    Wow ~
    I really found this story very interesting and refreshing. The personification of the clouds is very well done and really demonstrates their personalities.

    I wonder ~
    I think its cute how you made the clouds and the mountains friends, but I wonder if the clouds have any other friends without taking away from the story.

    What if... ~
    What if there was like, a grumpy cloud. Just to add another character and create more of a dynamic story.

    Best of luck with the remainder of this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story was very simple and easy to read. I feel thought that it might have been a bit too simple? I think there was more you could have done in the way of the two clouds looking for their rainbow. It was such a short conflict there wasn't much time to be invested in the characters. I do think it was very cute and clever to give clouds personality like this though. I haven't read the original myth but your retelling is very cute. I love the idea that clouds can be friends with each other especially since we like to assign them sort of personalities when we look for shapes in clouds.

    I know you said in your note you don't like stories with a dark ending but I think that that end might have been what gave the story some emotional depth. Without it, it feels a bit incomplete. You might be able to rework it though if the clouds had some trouble finding their way back home. The only conflict there was that it took them a little while to find the rainbow. Maybe they have some difficulty or maybe they each come very close to dissipating? Just something to think about to make your story more compelling.

    ReplyDelete