Sunday, September 4, 2016

Feedback Thoughts

("Feedback" by Karl Horton)

The article that I read that was most useful to me personally was the "Be a Mirror" article, because it explained how different mindsets can impact how people learn. One specific strategy that I read about in that article that I am going to use in the future is to take myself out of the feedback and keeping the focus of the feedback on the writer. In my feature writing class, we had to do group peer editing for a lot of our main stories. That class helped me realize how crucial good feedback is for writing. When people say pointless things about a story or piece of writing like "oh, it's good" or "yeah, I liked it," that does nothing to help you grow and improve your writing and your story. I'm used to getting feedback, both good and bad, so getting negative feedback doesn't bother me at all. It just helps me more in the long run. I had one professor who always gave us two negative pieces of feedback and then one positive. She would always start off with something negative, but end it with something positive so you know that you're at least doing okay even if you still have room to grow. 

1 comment:

  1. I also feel the same way about negative feedback. It’s how you present it to the individual in question that really effects their work later on. Your professor is really amazing for doing that because I had a professor that would only give negative feedback, which made you feel like you weren’t learning or growing. That was hard to stomach. I think it’s healthy to have a good balance of both. I often try to implement it in on feedback/comments, but I don’t always find something that I don’t like. The person giving the feedback also has to keep in mind that we have all have different writing styles and keep an open mind when reading another’s work.

    ReplyDelete