Thursday, September 15, 2016

Story: Aladdin and the Genie



            A long time ago, in a far away land called Lampella, there was a teenage boy named Aladdin. When the boy was very young, his father grew ill with disease and passed away. His mother, who worked really hard, but was very poor, raised Aladdin by herself. Aladdin was a good child but his fellow classmates often teased him because he was not as wealthy as they were. Alas, Aladdin was still kind and did everything he could to help his mother earn some money.
            One day, Aladdin’s uncle came into town to visit him and his mother. When the uncle arrived at their hut, he hugged the mother and gave Aladdin a dusty, old lamp.
            “What is this?” Aladdin asked.
            “Something that you might find great joy in someday – if you use it wisely,” the uncle replied. Aladdin shrugged and tossed the lamp onto the ground, unsure of what exactly his uncle meant.
            Aladdin, his mother, and the uncle spent the next few hours catching up, eating a small meal of bread and wine that the uncle brought, and then went off to bed. For some reason, Aladdin just could not fall asleep that night. He tossed and turned for an hour or so, thinking about what his uncle had said to him earlier that day. He then remembered the dusty, old lamp that his uncle gave him. He popped out of bed and scurried over to the lamp.
            Trying to see if he could get some of the dust off, Aladdin rubbed the lamp with his right hand. All of a sudden, the lamp began to shake, glow, and sparkle. To Aladdin’s surprise, a genie appeared. Aladdin had heard of genies in the past, but this did not seem like a normal genie. Genies were supposed to be really old, but this genie was a young and absolutely beautiful girl. Aladdin was basically in shock.
            “Where am I? Who are you?” The genie asked.
            “Uh, I’m Aladdin. And you are on the outskirts of Lampella,” Aladdin replied. “Who are you?”
            “My name is Jasmine. I am the Sultan’s daughter, but I have been kidnapped and stuck in this lamp for three years,” she said.
            “Well, I am glad I found you then! The whole kingdom has been looking for you for years! Can I help you get back home?” Aladdin asked. Jasmine nodded and the two made their way back to the palace. They had a long journey ahead of them, as Aladdin lived on the very outskirts of Lampella, and the palace was located in the heart of the land.
            Over the next few days, Aladdin and Jasmine really got to know each other and started falling in love. Jasmine began to worry because she was only allowed to marry a prince in order to remain a princess, and Aladdin was definitely not a prince. However, when they had arrived at the palace, the Sultan was so thankful and relieved that Jasmine was finally home that he decided that he would let Aladdin marry Jasmine so that they could stay together. Aladdin’s mother also got to live in the palace, so they all lived happily together.

Author's Note: The original Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp story from the "The Arabian Nights' Entertainments book is about a boy named Aladdin who was an "idle boy" who basically did not do anything and was well on his way to becoming a complete failure. Because of this, his father died from grief and disappointment, so his mother was left to look after him. Then, a man who claimed to be Aladdin’s uncle came along. Aladdin’s mother knew that her husband had a brother, so she did not question this for a minute. However, the “uncle” was actually a magician who was an imposter. The uncle convinced Aladdin to come along with him on a journey to give him better clothes and such. On this journey, the magician tricked Aladdin into getting the lamp/genie for him. For my version of the story, I changed how the father died, the uncle’s role in the story, and made Aladdin a good guy instead of “idle.” Furthermore, I made the genie a princess who was actually trapped in the lamp. I got her name from the Disney movie. I wanted to make the genie/princess a girl so that she and Aladdin could fall in love eventually because I like my stories to have happy endings.

Bibliography: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang; link to the reading online

12 comments:

  1. I loved this story, especially because I am a big fan of the original. Enjoyed how you made Jasmine the genie and gave her a pretty tragic situation. This definitely made for a good love story between the two. It's amazing how simple changes to a story can make it completely new and like you've never read it before. Great job, and look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you changed up the story. When I read that the genie's name was Jasmine I laughed and then retread it. You provided great detail to the story, which allowed me to staying rigged throughout the story. The story flowed nicely and I could tell when the story was coming to a conclusion, which I feel like is important as the reader. The happy ending was a nice touch. I have changed the endings of several of the stories I have used for inspiration as well. Providing a moral lesson is always nice and is traditional in mythology and folklore. I look forward to reading more of your writing throughout the semester. I really enjoyed your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story. I am such a big fan of Aladdin but I really dislike the fact that Aladdin is an written as "idle" also so I'm really glad that you changed his personality. It's hard to like a character who is entitled. Some things that I wonder about your story is if Jasmine was ever able to turn back to a regular princess instead of being a genie, if Jasmine have genie powers, or if when Aladdin rubbed the lamp that it just released her and she doesn't have an obligation to do the three wishes or whatever. What if Jasmine did have genie powers and she was able to give Aladdin the wishes while he helped her get home. Or what if Aladdin and Jasmine had to figure a way to release her from being a genie once they got to the palace and because Aladdin help release her, the sultan let Jasmine marry him. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaitlin,

    I'm glad to see that you chose to read Aladdin and write a story about his adventures. Your telling felt more like the Disney version that I was more familiar with before I also read Aladdin for this class. Making him a better man and more desirable role model is an interesting take. I also like how you borrowed the Princess Jasmine character for your story, it was a nice little Easter egg. The thing I like most however is how this is just an overall happier story than the one from 1001 Arabian Nights. The Uncle did not strike me as malicious in this story. In fact, it really seems like he did his best to help Aladdin and his mother.

    Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed. I hope you find the time to add more of your work to your portfolio during the rest of the semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaitlin,
    I really enjoyed reading this story. I love the Disney version of Aladdin so hearing about the original and reading your take on it was really interesting! I love how you managed to add dialogue to your story! It really made the story more realistic and made the reader feel more involved with what was happening. I also really liked how you changed the original and made Jasmine the genie. I really love happy endings so I got really excited when I saw that Jasmine and Aladdin ended up together! I think you did a really good job writing this story, and I can't wait to read more of the stories that you choose to add to your profile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kaitlin!

    First, I love that you named the city Lampella. I cracked up! Also when Jasmine came out of the lamp, I was shocked! I think that was an extremely creative twist and you did a terrific job describing it. It was so vivid! Your entire story was so entertaining! I love how although the characters were normal, you swayed away from the original story. It really made for an interesting and exciting read! I know the story you read is a little different from the Disney version too. I think your portfolio is coming together nicely! I read your first portfolio story two weeks ago and this one compliments it nicely! Your project is really coming together. I hope I can read the next few entries too! Keep up the good work. I think your creative twists on the stories will be an amazing feature on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this story too and being a big fan the Disney version, the original story is just as good if not better. What I really liked about the story is that you stuck mostly to the plot line but then all of a sudden you would change a small detail and then the whole plot would change! It made for some unexpected story line twist which I really liked! It wasn't predictable but it also wasn't so weird that it didn't makes sense. It was interesting that you had Jasmine be the genie in the bottle instead of a normal old genie. I also like that you didn't have Aladdin as bratty as the story or make him into a peasant trying to prove himself worthy of the upperclass like the movie did. He was true to his roots and was humble. Honestly, out of both the Disney movie and the original story, I like your portrayal of Aladdin the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started reading your story I thought that it was going to be like the original story of Aladdin. Then you threw a huge curve ball when Jasmine came out of the lamp. Did the uncle know she was in there? Did she know who put her in there? What did she do for three years while she was in the lamp? Where had the Lamp been for three years? That was a shocking surprise that I was not ready for! I also like that the town that he lives in has the word lamp in the name. I really loved that surprise though! I also like that you still let Jasmine and Aladdin be together! I think you did a great job at changing this story up. I don’t think anyone would see that curve ball coming though! I really enjoyed reading your story! I can’t wait to see what other stories you post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kaitlin,

    I really enjoyed reading the story. I also wrote a story on Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp but I can assure it is completely different than yours. I actually invite you to read mine so you can see how we both took completely different paths when rewriting it. Anyway, your story was very interesting and also super creative. I really liked when Aladdin rubbed the Lamp and the Princess appeared instead of the genie, that was totally unexpected and I loved it. However, I think that the end should have a little bit more developed because you had a great opportunity for some drama by making the Sultan refuse to give his daughter to Aladdin just because he was not a prince and just gave him money instead. Overall, the story was fantastic and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to your future stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kaitlin,

    Your story was very interesting. Being a disney fan, I like the the creative plot twist you used. When you wrote about the uncle giving Aladdin the lamp, I could picture that so clearly,very great job on the detail in that sentence. That is also a very relatable situation that people experience in everyday life (not always with a lamp, but with other things). If someone gave me a dusty old lamp, I would wonder "Why am I getting this stupid lamp?" and just shove it in a drawer.
    Having a princess come out of the lamp was very creative. Most would have chosen a genie but having a princess come out sets up a plot for a love story. Having the princess being Jasmine is genius. Since most have seen Aladdin (or at least pictures of Aladdin and Jasmine) it was very easy to picture your story. I was able to use the looks of the Disney characters and picture them in your story. I wondered how Jasmine got into the lamp in the first place? You could take Jasmine and create an entire new story if you wanted. You could go in depth of how she got into the lamp, and write a story off of that. Overall, your story was greatly written, you had great details and it was easy to follow. Your author note was also very helpful. I liked how you shortly summarized the story and then explained how you wrote your story based off that. Happy endings are always a great thing to have in a story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kaitlin! I wanted to check on your portfolio because I remember it being so great. This story did not disappoint! I also looked at the other stories and see that you switched up a couple of things! This story was really great. I think I may have said this before, but I love how creative you were with this. Lampella cracks me up! I think it can be difficult to stray away from the Disney version because that is what we grew up with, but you did an awesome job separating them. I am doing my storybook on a couple of stories that Disney also covered. It can be difficult trying to come up with your own ideas! I really love your style of writing. It is light and easy to read, which is not an easy task. You are so close to the finish line! Keep up the incredible work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kaitlin! I was so interested to read your portfolio and especially this story because I love Aladdin and all things Disney. That was so creative to make Jasmine come out of the lamp. I was definitely anticipating the genie coming out of the lamp, so I was surprised that it was not him. After reading how she got put in that lamp it makes me wonder if Aladdin's uncle had anything to do with it. Did he kidnap her and give the lamp to Aladdin on purpose to give him the princess hoping they would be married and the whole family would benefit? If so, that adds a whole new complex to this story. That would be really cool to explore in the future. I do think you could add some detail to the ending. I felt like as soon as he found her the story was wrapped up, when I still wanted some detail about them getting married and Aladdin's family's reaction to the marriage. Overall, this was a great story and it really had some layers in it that made it a lot more intriguing than what you would imagine Aladdin to be.

    ReplyDelete