Monday, November 28, 2016

Portfolio Introduction








("Old Books" by David Flores)

This is where all of my stories for my Portfolio are going to be located for this class. I am excited to see all of the different stories that I am going to accumulate based on what inspires me from week to week. I am mostly interested in fairy tales that involve magic, princesses, gods/goddesses, and happy endings. I am hoping to create a unique, interesting Portfolio over the course of this semester, and I hope you enjoy reading my stories!

Portfolio Story 1: This is my first story that I wanted to include in my Portfolio because I felt that it was one of my stronger stories that I have written so far. It is originally from Homer's Odyssey, specifically the Cyclops episode, but I made a few changes along the way in order to make it different from the original story but still fun to read. Click on the link to read about Odysseus and his men trying to capture a herd unicorns.

Portfolio Story 2: This is the second story that I wanted to include in my Portfolio because I really liked the changes that I made to make my version of the story different from the original story. Click on the link to read my unique twist of Aladdin and The Wonderful Lamp. 

Portfolio Story 3:  This is the third story that I decided to include in my Portfolio because I wanted to add a really simple story to my Portfolio. The story is based off of the story, “The Cloud That Was Lost," from Florence Stratton's "When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends." The first half of my story is similar to the original version, but the second half is completely different, with a very different ending as well.

Portfolio Story 4: This is the fourth story that I wanted to include in my Portfolio because I thought it would be an interesting addition. The original story is about a young boy named Tommy Pritchard who has good luck and finds a sixpence every single day. In my version of the story, Tommy has something a little more than just good luck.

Portfolio Story 5: This is the final story that I wanted to add to my Portfolio. I wanted to include it in my Portfolio because I felt that it added another unique and dynamic story to it. The original version of the story is about a boy, a donkey, a table, and a stick, but my version of the story takes the main character in a completely different direction.

3 comments:

  1. I like your portfolio idea!

    In Aladdin and Genie, you wrote the story very well. You gave me a good background story about Aladdin’s life before going into details about him acquiring the lamp. Also, I liked how you changed Aladdin to be a caring, nice guy instead of an idle one from the original. It makes me feel like he has a right to be with a princess because he is a good person. Aside from this, I wonder how Jasmine got in the lamp. Did Aladdin’s uncle put her in there? Also, I wonder if she remained a genie after Aladdin found her.

    In the Cloud That Was Lost, I was able to imagine the clouds through your words and the picture. You were very creative in adding characteristics about clouds and about how rainbows will lead clouds home. I wonder if Claudia lived in the same mountain as Claus. If they did, why have they not met each other prior to being lost? Or has Claudia been lost much longer than Claus, which is why they have not met?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaitlin! I took a look over your portfolio and I am so impressed. You put so much work and time into each piece. It really shows! I think my favorite story was the twist you put on Aladdin. I actually read it a few weeks ago for this same project, and I still remember it well! I also loved reading your Cloud That Was Lost story. I imagined these huge fluffy clouds with personalities floating around. It was so fun to envision! You did an amazing job setting the scene and giving details to help the reader picture it. Also, love that their names all start wit Cl. Like Claudia and Claus the clouds! So creative. You portfolio looks awesome! I know your next story will fit in perfectly with the other three. You are an awesome writer and it really shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kaitlin,

    I was excited to see that you already have four stories in your portfolio. That's awesome! I think you've got a great collection here, and I love that you've united all of these stories through happy endings. I think everyone could use more happy endings in life, and I'm glad you're giving that to your readers! The first two stories were interesting for me to read because I was already so familiar with the source material. I've got to admit, though, I like yours much better! Maybe it's just the fact that you've given them a more modern feel. They were very readable though. The second two were my favorites. You got so creative here! The Cloud that was Lost was so cute! It reminded me of that pixar short with the cloud. The Tommy Prichard story was also really good. I like that you made the setting a beach in Ireland. You did a nice job with the imagery. My one critique is that your happy ending seems to come a bit too easily here. But I guess that's just how magic works sometimes. This is an excellent portfolio. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete